With the Vice fitting finished, the next step was to add the central insert into the bench.
I already had the wood ready, all that was really needed was to cut it to size and remove the recesses that would allow the piece to sit flush with the bench top.
Initial Layout on the insert:
Removing the recesses to allow the insert to sit flush to the bench top:
With the insert prepared and the recesses completed, I decided to add a design change to the insert for ease of use. Rather than cutting the insert dead to length with the workbench, I would add a handle to one end to allow for easy removal.
Not wanting to over-complicate things, I decided to free-hand the handle shape and tweak it as I went.
After trimming the lower shoulder where the handle meets the insert, all that is left to do is apply a finish. I am looking to use Danish Oil again, applying three coats in order to make the insert a little more durable and give it some water resistance. While I don’t plan on spilling water onto either the bench or the insert, as an avid tea and coffee drinker, this feature really appeals to me when choosing a finish.
The next feature I will be looking to add will be a shelf between the leg frames of the bench to allow for temporary storage of tools and also the later option of adding small cabinet/drawer units underneath the bench top.